Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Summertime Blues

I knew when we moved into a house on the water that we'd be overrun with houseguests come summer.

I knew because I used to delight in being one of those guests. And now, my friends and family have collectively ganged up on me to exact their revenge for all my years of warm weather freeloading.

They started coming Memorial Day weekend and will continue, pretty much unabated, until we leave for vacation in mid-August. Last night was the first night in almost a month that we didn't have anyone at the house except ourselves. It was nice just to sit there with a glass of wine and the remnants of the Sunday paper without feeling like I was ignoring people who came from long distances to see us.

My respite will be short-lived -- tomorrow, my best friend and her husband arrive for a few days. We've been friends for so long, they seem more like family and hardly count as company. In fact, I knew my husband was a keeper when he passed muster with these people. When they met at Best Friend's annual backyard barbeque three years ago, it was love at first sight. Best Friend's Husband, a man whom I have known since I dated his brother in high school, pulled me aside in the middle of the party and gushed like a starstruck teenager, "I like this one! You've got to keep him!!"

So I did.

When the four of us get together, it's as if my husband has been part of our gang from the start. And while I really like my husband's best friends -- who are coming to visit the week after the Fourth of July -- I don't have the same easy connection with them that he has with mine. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing Best Friend more than some of the others who will be coming this summer!


The Wife Who Knows

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It feels so good when they leave doesn't it? I'm happy when they come but it's exhausting to interact constantly. Since someone commented about no one wanting to leave a comment when you are not unhappy then I thought I would! I'm thinking about moving away from my revenge blog and getting into my own stuff, i guess that's progress!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Natalia said...

I just found your blog. I needed to read something that kinda reflected some of the stuff I am going through. I don't know why people do this. I don't know why people cheat. I hope you find happiness.

-N

12:51 PM  
Blogger Amerynthe said...

I discovered your blog yesterday afternoon and have spent all day reading it today. Although this is not my life, I recognize bits of friends' lives and even a comment my mother once made about my father - that they had never had a dull conversation. I hope your silence on the blogging page is because you are happy and serene and no longer need these pages, but I feel that I have got part-way through a book and found that someone has torn out the last few chapters!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you? Hope you are well and healing and that's why you're not blogging. Several of us miss your pithy observations that we connect with so well.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Scott Hess said...

I miss your posts, too, but most of all hope that your absence is a sign of health. As the Aussies say, good on ya.

10:47 AM  
Blogger zamouzi said...

Well.

I don't know how I stumbled onto your blog... oh! Yes, I do. I was doing a google image search for a particular picture of Audrey Hepburn. Anyway, after skimming an entry or two, I went all the way back to the beginning and really read all of your posts.

I just wanted to let you know that you're a terrific writer and a really interesting and inspiring person. Are you blogging anywhere else now? How did (are) things turn(ing) out in your marriage?

Kudos and best wishes, sincerely.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home